IMAGINE WHAT’S NEXT AT LASSONDE
It’s not the questions that have the right answer that are important. It’s the questions that don’t have an answer that really matter.
WE ARE DESIGNING A SCHOOL TO REDESIGN ENGINEERING EDUCATION
According to the World Economic Forum we are at the tipping point of the Fourth Industrial Revolution. Between now and 2050 we face great challenges: climate change, clean water, energy, cyber security, to name just a few. The opportunities are possibly even greater: big data, driverless cars, 3D printing, artificial intelligence, and many more.
Each challenge and each opportunity is:
We need engineers with practical skills alongside theoretical knowledge. We need engineers with a sense of purpose, a passion for change and a broader perspective on the world around them. We need engineers who work collaboratively, who understand the consequences of their actions and who take a human-centric approach to solving problems.
We need Renaissance Engineers
- think in big systems not little silos
- design with people in mind
- embrace ambiguity
JOIN US ON OUR JOURNEY
TOGETHER, WE CAN CHANGE THE WORLD FOR THE BETTER
Lassonde Campaign Priorities
LEADING CHANGE AT LASSONDE ($15‐MILLION)
MAKING A REAL DIFFERENCE
- Developing a broad Renaissance Curriculum: creating integrated courses in law and business alongside an accredited engineering, a new Lassonde Co-op program, joint degree programs (combining BEng with MBA and JD) and building an entrepreneurial culture through the School’s BEST program.
- Flipping the Classroom: giving students the opportunity to watch lectures online anywhere, anytime and come to class to solve problems together with hands-on learning.
- Achieving 50:50: powering the Lassonde 50:50 Challenge to become the first engineering school in Canada to reach a 50:50 gender balance.
BUILDING ON LASSONDE’S STRENGTHS ($20-MILLION)
INVESTING IN CORE COMPETENCIES
- Researching with Purpose: building on a legacy of outstanding research at the School in our priority fields: Energy and Climate Frontiers; Computation, Connective Media and Social Interactions; Technologies for Healthier Life; and Intelligent Systems and Smart Cities.
- Investing in Technology: Installing the latest equipment and technology in Lassonde’s research labs.
- Attracting Top Talent: giving Lassonde the ability to hire the world’s finest research superstars, outstanding scholars, graduate students and exceptional teachers.
EXPANDING LASSONDE’S IMPACT ($50-MILLION)
- Expanding Programs: Completing Lassonde’s portfolio of undergraduate programs by adding Chemical Engineering and Biological Engineering, together with new graduate and professional programs.
- Founding Departments: Establishing academic powerhouses in new Chemical and Biological disciplines with world class leadership, passionate educators and a purposeful research enterprise.
- Building New Infrastructure: Constructing a bold academic environment with labs, technology and learning spaces designed around the needs of users – both students and researchers.